“Don’t ignore your prostate condition; rather treat it with us!” – Dr. Vikram
The prostate, in essence, is a tiny, muscular gland that works as a part of the male reproductive system. It surrounds the urethra and produces the fluid of an individual’s semen. However, in some cases, the cells of the organ start multiplying and, in turn, increase their size. This condition is known as an enlarged prostate or BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia). As the name suggests, the condition is somewhat harmless and usually does not increase the risk of cancer. However, an enlarged prostate can cause several symptoms that might affect your lifestyle. Hence, treating it swiftly should be the primary concern of any patient.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- What is Enlarged Prostate or BPH?
- Symptoms and Diagnosis of Enlarged Prostate
- Causes of Enlarged Prostate?
- When to See a Doctor?
- Treatment Options for Enlarged Prostate in Delhi NCR
- Cost of Treatment in Delhi NCR
1. What is Enlarged Prostate or BPH?
An enlarged prostate is a prostatic condition, which occurs when the cells of the male reproductive gland begin multiplying suddenly. The abrupt emergence of the same causes the prostate to swell and squeezes your urethra. If left untreated, this condition can limit the flow of urine and cause moderate to severe discomfort to the patient. Nevertheless, it generally occurs amongst the elders (over 50 years old) and can be treated with enlarged prostate surgery.
2. Symptoms and Diagnosis of Enlarged Prostate
The symptoms of an enlarged prostate tend to be pretty mild at the beginning. However, they can become much more prominent and serious if you do not treat them. Some of the common enlarged prostate symptoms include –
- Increased urge (or frequency) of urination during nighttime
- Experiencing a sense of difficulty during the beginning phase of urination
- Dribbling while urinating
- Weaker stream of urine
- The stream of urine often begins and ends abruptly
- Painful urination
- Blood in the stream of urine
- Straining while urinating
To diagnose the condition, the best urologist in Delhi will ask the patient to undergo the following diagnostic evaluations –
- Urinalysis (to check if your urine has bacteria or blood in it)
- Cystoscopy (uses a tiny-lighted scope to examine your bladder and urethra)
- Urodynamic test (involves filling up a bladder with liquid to measure its pressure during urination)
- Post-void residual (evaluates the quantity of urine that is left in the bladder after the completion of urination)
- PSA test (assesses the condition of the prostate and checks for cancer cells)
3. Causes of Enlarged Prostate
The actual origin of an enlarged prostate is unknown. However, according to a top urology specialist in Delhi, it generally occurs due to aging. Some researchers also tend to link it with the stability of testosterone. In addition, if you have a family history of prostatic abnormalities or issues, then it may raise the risk of BPH for you as well. Some other causes of the condition might include –
- Kidney or bladder stones
- UTI or Urinary Tract Infection
- Damaged nerves that control the bladder
- Prostatitis (inflammation of the gland)
- Urethral stricture (narrowing of the urethra)
- Scarring of the neck of the bladder
In any case, the problem can be solved by undergoing a proper enlarged prostate treatment procedure.
If you defy the enlarged prostate diet and treatment, then the condition can become even more eminent and contribute to extreme complications. Some of these are –
- Urinary retention or an abrupt disability to urinate properly (might require the insertion of a catheter to drain the collected urine)
- Damage of the bladder (may make it difficult to empty your bladder)
- Bladder stones (caused by the inability to empty one’s bladders )
- UTI (inability to empty a bladder can also cause infection to the urethra and the whole organ)
5. When to See a Doctor?
Unlike the other bladder-related issues, an enlarged prostate usually does not cause any grave concern instantly. However, the symptoms of this condition can mimic that of other bladder abnormalities like cancer or infection. Thus, the patient is always advised to visit the doctor whenever he experiences any of the aforementioned symptoms. If you do not undergo enlarged prostate surgery or any other treatment, it may cause complete obstruction of your urinary tract.
6. Treatment Options for Enlarged Prostate in Delhi NCR
An enlarged prostate treatment may include surgery and drugs either exclusively or inclusively. Therefore, learning about both of them can be crucial for everyone at risk of prostate abnormality.
The spectrum of enlarged prostate surgery usually includes –
- Transurethral Needle Ablation: In this procedure, the surgeon generally uses radio waves to shrink the prostate tissues by causing scarring.
- Urolift: In Urolift, the affected prostate will be lifted surgically by using implants. This way, the blockage of the urethra can be countered.
- Transurethral Water Vapor Therapy: The surgeons generally use TWVT to destroy the excess prostate tissue by using water vapor.
- Transurethral Microwave Therapy: In this aspect, a certain amount of microwave energy is used to reduce the prominence of prostate tissue.
- High-Intensity Focused Ultrasonography: During the HIFU procedure, a surgeon would use sonic energy to exterminate the excess prostate tissue.
In moderate cases, the issue of an enlarged prostate can also be treated with medication. Some of the common options used in this aspect are –
- Alpha-1 blockers, such as prazosin, doxazosin, terazosin, etc.
- Hormone reduction drugs (to stabilize the production of testosterone)
- Antibiotics (to cure a chronically-inflamed prostate of bacterial Prostatitis)
7. Cost of Treatment in Delhi NCR
The cost of enlarged prostate surgery or treatment depends on the location or infrastructure of a hospital. On an average, the expense of the same may linger between INR 27,500 – INR 112,200. Nonetheless, if you are undergoing the procedure in the top urology clinic in Delhi, then your overall expenditure may increase even more.
Contrary to popular belief, an enlarged prostate can cause moderate to severe discomfort to the patient. Additionally, it may also lead to various extreme health conditions if it is left untreated. Therefore, if you are experiencing any symptoms of the health condition, then you are advised to visit a healthcare center, such as Dr. Vikram’s immediately. The staff of the organization are pretty efficient in the field of medical work. Therefore, they can treat your issue proficiently. Besides, the procedures of the clinic are quite affordable as well. So, they will be the ideal solution for you.