Prostate Cancer is one of the commonest cancers in the male population in the developed world
In this piece of information, we will be accessing answers to common questions related to prostate cancer, such as how prostate cancer happens, why you get prostate cancer, prostate cancer meaning, and prostate cancer causes.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- What is prostate cancer?
- Types of Prostate Cancer
- What are the early signs & symptoms of prostate cancer?
- How is it diagnosed?
- Causes of Prostate Cancer
- How Is Prostate Cancer Treated?
What Is Prostate Cancer?
In men, it is the second most commonly occurring form of cancer. The kind of information available online may leave you clueless about prostate cancer meaning and severity at times.
It is a cancer of the prostate gland,
Prostate gland is a part of the male reproductive system and passage of urethra which is responsible for forming approximately 80% of secretions of the semen
The cancer is characterised by abnormal growth of cells in the prostate gland
Types of Prostate Cancer
- Acinar adenocarcinoma: It refers to cancer that develops in the gland cells lining the prostate gland and is the most common type
- Other rare types are Ductal Adeno carcinoma, Neuroendocrine types
What are the early signs & symptoms of prostate cancer?
What are some symptoms of prostate cancer? In the early stages, there may or may not be any signs or symptoms of prostate cancer.
It is usually asymptomatic and hence the need to detect the cancer early
The advanced stage of this health condition may be characterised by signs and symptoms such as:
- Trouble urinating
- Blood in the urine
- Decreased urine stream force
- Blood in the semen
- Generalized weakness
- Bone pain
How is it diagnosed?
How to detect prostate cancer early?
Prostate cancer can be diagnosed by tests such as prostate-specific antigen (PSA) and digital rectal exam (DRE).
In case the results of any of these tests are found to be abnormal, the doctor may recommend a prostate biopsy to confirm or rule out the possibility of cancer.
These days, the standard technique is an MRI TRUS fusion biopsy or ultrasound after MRI has suggested suspicious areas. After the biopsy, the doctor can confirm or refute the possibility of cancer and stratify the health condition into grades.
Theses Grades are Gleason Grading ranging from 6 -10, from least to most aggressive
The Prostate Cancer Treatment Doctor in Delhi would examine and recommend tests to detect the stage of prostate cancer by looking at the severity, size of the condition, whether it has spread and the grade (the appearance of abnormal cancerous cells under the microscope).
To find out everything about prostate cancer meaning and prostate cancer causes, you can reach out to us and our team of medical specialists would be happy to help you.
Causes of Prostate Cancer
Now that we have explored prostate cancer meaning, let us shift our focus to prostate cancer causes.
How do people get prostate cancer? On a basic level, this health condition is a result of changes in the Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) of a normal prostate cell. The risk factors for prostate cancer include:
- Ageing: Prostate cancer is common in men above the age of 60 years.
- Race: Black people tend to face a greater risk of prostate cancer than people of other races.
- Family history: The risk of prostate cancer is increased if the health condition runs in the family. It may also be higher if someone has a family history of genes (BRCA1 or BRCA2) increasing the risk of breast cancer.
- Obesity: Obese people face a higher risk of prostate cancer when compared to people with a healthy weight.
You can call us to know about more prostate cancer causes.
How Is Prostate Cancer Treated?
The doctor may recommend surgery (Robot-assisted Radical prostatectomy) or radiation therapy as part of the prostate cancer treatment plan.
During the Robot-assisted Radical prostatectomy, the surgical robot is used for assisting in precise surgery. During this advanced form of laparoscopic surgery, the robot is docked and assists in the handling of crucial tissue and promote faster recovery. The estimated time of surgery is about 4-5 hours and the hospital stay is approximately 4-5 days.
On the other hand, Radiation therapy is delivered by radiation oncologists.
- During External beam radiation therapy (EBRT), radiation beams are emphasised on the prostate gland to relieve prostate cancer symptoms or cure early-stage cancers.
- During Three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy (3D-CRT), special computers are used for precisely mapping the location of the prostate. Thereafter, the surgeon shapes and aims radiation beams from different directions at the prostate.
- During Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), a computer-driven machine is used and it moves around the patient as it delivers radiation.
At Urethra Clinic, The Top Urology Clinic in Delhi you will get the best treatment and post-operative care with the best suggestion and support in your difficult times. We can even help you know everything about prostate cancer meaning, prostate cancer causes, prostate cancer treatment, etc.
Prostate cancer patients should develop a clear and complete understanding of the health conditions, causes and symptoms, the availability of different treatment options, and precautions associated with the treatment. Furthermore, it is important to trust only a reputed and successful doctor who specialises in prostate cancer treatment. Call at Urethra Clinic now to find out about the best prostate cancer procedures.