A majority of the elderly males complain of prostate problems and suffer from prostate cancer. Though effective ways to prevent the occurrence of such cancer are few, various studies and analyses on the subject suggest physical exercises lower the risk by a considerable rate. Regular exercise reduces drug dependency and improves the quality of life and longer sustainability post-diagnosis of cancer. The benefits of exercise are that despite co-morbidities, cancer progression gets controlled, and therapy responds better. A pro-active lifestyle is a basis for healthy life and cancer prevention. This blog is a walk through the benefits of exercise in the prevention of prostate cancer.
Table of Content
- Benefits of Exercise in Preventing Cancer
- How do physical activity and sexual activity prevent prostate cancer?
- Which physical exercises or activities prevent Prostate Cancer?
- What exercise precautions do I need to take?
1. Benefits of Exercise in Preventing Cancer
Life seems arduous with the challenges and side effects of prostate cancer. Men battling prostate cancer have no option but to build on their motivation and draw inspiration from health enthusiasts. While the tolerance to bear a lifelong ailment requires a lot of willpower once you fall into the routine. Following regular workouts and active lifestyle help patients with prostate cancer cope with life better. Exercise for cancer patients must be considered as a necessary lifeline to exist.
What are the Benefits of Regular Exercise During and After Cancer Treatment:
- Boost muscle strength and endurance – the muscle loss as a result of the therapy for prostate cancer treatment can be counterbalanced by muscle training exercises.
- Improve heart health – Dedicate hours of brisk walking, running, and cardio exercises are well known and recommended to improve heart-related conditions. Improved heart health is directly proportional to improved and longer life in patients who have cancer.
- Maintain a healthy weight – as a long-term complication of prostate cancer, osteoporosis develops with consequent weight loss. The role of core strengthening exercises under expert supervision proves to enhance the standard of living.
- Prevents obesity – weight reduction helps in inhibiting cancer from getting worse.
- Helps in decreasing blood sugar – thereby reducing insulin levels which acts as a boon in diabetic patients who have prostate cancer.
- Reduces inflammation – inflammation of body parts is a potential risk for the development of prostate cancer.
- Positive impact on psychological health – men who have prostate cancer tend to undergo mental illness in the form of anxiety, stress, and depression. An energetic lifestyle with a mix of exercise and meditation improves the psychosocial well-being of the patient undergoing treatment to prevent prostate cancer.
2. How do physical activity and sexual activity prevent prostate cancer?
Being diagnosed with cancer is a heart-wrenching truth that is frightening and dreadful. In hindsight, one can consider it to be “the push” that life has offered you to live a vibrant and healthy life, full of optimism and body positivity. Sexual and physical activity are the key elements that help prevent prostate cancer. Exercise is the best preventive medicine to keep all conditions related to the prostate at bay.
What is the benefit of regular exercise in cancer prevention?
- Improves prostate cancer causes – benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), inflammation, and infection of prostate gland leads to urinary stasis. Daily aerobic (dedicated brisk walking) and non-aerobic (floor exercise, leg lifts, stretching) can significantly improve such conditions.
- Helps in the treatment of prostate cancer – The therapy responds better if the individual has a good fitness level.
3. Which physical exercises or activities prevent Prostate Cancer?
The power of exercise and physical activity is immense in cancer prevention.
- Thirty minutes of brisk walk every day
- Calorie-burning exercises like jogging and swimming help in reducing extra kilos. Men who have prostate cancer can reduce the risk of its aggressiveness by maintaining a normal BMI.
- Pelvic floor exercises help strengthen the muscles, which is much required to prevent the progression of cancer. As the pelvic floor muscles have the primary function to support the urinary bladder, bowel, and sexual organs, pelvic exercise becomes vital for the stable working of these organs when affected by prostate cancer.
- Kegel exercises are another effective form of pelvic floor exercise. The periodic movements of contraction and relaxation enhance sexual and continence functions.
- Weight-bearing exercises like climbing stairs and weight training, aid in bone loss prevention when done regularly.
4. What exercise precautions do I need to take?
It is better to be safe than sorry, so exercise is recommended to prevent prostate cancer. Modified exercises pertaining to the health of the prostate gland have been proved to be a safe and effective way to prevent prostate cancer. Nonetheless, certain precautions are to be taken before starting aggressive physical training.
- Screening and monitoring of bone health – as patients with prostate cancer and undergoing ADT (androgen deprivation therapy) present with bony disorders like osteoporosis.
- Supplements to maintain healthy bones – Vitamin D and calcium levels must be at optimum levels. If not, it must be ensured that the daily recommended dose is met either via dietary intake or in the form of supplements.
- How to prevent cancer?
Cancer can be prevented by early intervention, lifestyle modifications, and management in the form of chemotherapy, radiation, and or surgery.
- What are the benefits of exercise for cancer patients?
Staying physically active renders the body optimal strength and stamina to fight the nuances of cancer.
The Urethra Clinic is well renowned for its all-round exercise program for cancer prevention. Patients highly recommend this clinic for its superb fitness programs that deliver effective health benefits. Dr. Vikram is the best cancer specialist in Delhi, whose expertise in prostate cancer management is par excellence.